To quickly and easily master getting into and out of a canoe without getting wet, remember the following important points:
- Keep your center of gravity low, and move slowly and deliberately.
- Transfer your weight slowly from shore to the bottom center of the canoe.
- Board your canoe directly into your paddling position whenever possible.
- For maximum control and stability, kneel in canoes, even if they have seats.
- To get out of a canoe, reverse these steps.
Capsizing a Canoe
If you should capsize the canoe, relax and make contact with the canoe with your hands. Stay upside-down while you extract feet and legs from the canoe, then surface maintaining contact with the canoe. Keep your eyes open.